Friday, August 29, 2014

Jumble Your Genres Reading Challenge 2014: August ~ City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare



This year Readers Live A Thousand LivesCorrie The Book Crazed Girl, and Lovin' Los Libros have teamed up to host the Jumble Your Genres Reading Challenge! For this challenge, the goal is to mix up the genres/categories we read. We have all had those times when we have gotten stuck in the genre/category we are currently reading and read nothing else for a while. The goal here is to mix that up! Each month a different genre/category will be featured and the goal is to read and review one book or more in that genre/category during that month.


For August the genre / category is ~ Paranormal

My Choice:

City of Heavenly Fire
(The Mortal Instruments #6)

by
Cassandra Clare 



In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!


My Thoughts

I read the first five books of The Mortal Instruments just over a year ago in quick succession. And then like everyone else, I had to wait for the release of book 6.
Was it worth the wait? You bet you. 

Cassie did an excellent job in writing the ending to this series.
Sure, it's long - 733 pages long, but once you start reading, you may find it kind of hard to stop.
I know I did. I had a difficult time putting this baby down.

I guess part of what captivated me so much was that this book is not focused just on Clary and Jace and all that they have to endure, but also on many of the secondary characters that we have come to know and love as the story has developed.
Isabelle and Simon
Alec and Magnus
and yes, even Sebastian / Jonathan.
They all feature quite largely in these final pages of the series and the way their stories are intricately interwoven makes for a very interesting read.
Definitely one you will not want to miss.


My Rating: 5 out of 5



4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this installment, Marilyn. I have yet to read it. *ha* After having to wait...I'm still making myself wait. Are you going to/have you read The Infernal Devices, series? I have them waiting on my bookshelf but haven't started them yet. Shocking, I know. :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too!!! I honestly loved how freaking funny this book was. Such a great conclusion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah? So I can read it? It will be okay? Oh good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get back into this series! I'm glad you enjoyed this one! It also lets me know I'm missing out on a great series :)

    Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete