Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Teaser Tuesday #122 ~ The Boys of Summer (Summer #1) by C.J. Duggan



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.

Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

* ~ * ~ * ~ *


My Tease for this week comes from:

The Boys of Summer
(Summer #1)
by
C.J. Duggan



First - The Blurb:


It seemed only natural to nickname them the ‘Onslow Boys’. Every time they swaggered in the front door of the Onslow Hotel after a hard week’s work, their laughter was loud and genuine as they settled onto their bar stools. I peeked through the restaurant partition, a flimsy divider between my world and theirs. I couldn’t help but smile whenever I saw them, saw him... Toby Morrison.

Quiet seventeen-year-old Tess doesn’t relish the thought of a summertime job. She wants nothing more than to forget the past haunts of high school and have fun with her best friends before the dreaded Year Twelve begins.

To Tess, summer is when everything happens: riding bikes down to the lake, watching the fireworks at the Onslow Show and water bomb fights at the sweltering Sunday markets.

How did she let her friends talk her into working?

After first-shift disasters, rude, wealthy tourists and a taunting ex-boyfriend, Tess is convinced nothing good can come of working her summer away. However, Tess finds unlikely allies in a group of locals dubbed ‘The Onslow Boys’, who are old enough to drive cars, drink beer and not worry about curfews. Tess’s summer of working expands her world with a series of first times with new friends, forbidden love and heartbreaking chaos.

All with the one boy she has never been able to forget. 

It will be a summer she will always remember. 

Warning: sexual references, and occasional coarse language.


Second - The Tease:

"I love you, Tess McGee. I don’t do big funny or heartfelt speeches in front of people at birthday parties, but I’m excellent in private alcoves in beer gardens." He paused. "Okay, that sounded really bad, what I mean is …"

I kissed him into silence. I pressed my forehead against his with a sigh. "I love you, too, Toby. In fact, that’s what I was going to tell you before we walked into the beer garden. Right before the really bad singing started."

Toby chuckled. He let out a sigh of relief. "Ready to reminisce?"

I whispered my final word before he closed the distance.
"Always." 


I must admit, I had quite high expectations for this book. Sadly though, I didn't feel like it delivered. 
Why? Well, I guess because I prefer a story which is loaded with romance, and in The Boys of Summer, the relationship between the main two characters (Tess and Toby) didn't really progress to that point until almost two thirds of the way through.

However, having said that, the story is well written and if you want a read which is centered more around fun and not so much around the romance, then The Boys of Summer might just be the book for you.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5


* ~ * ~ * ~ *


Okay, so what do you think?

If you liked my Tease, please leave a comment below.



6 comments:

  1. Well, not all books can live up to one's expectations. At least it wasn't a total bust. The teaser you shared is cute. I would like to visit a beer garden. ;)

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tease. Sorry the book wasn't a great read. Hope you enjoy your next one better!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the teaser but I didn't like the book. I gave it 2 stars so you liked it better than me. It's too bad since it had so much potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as I did, Marilyn. #2 is my fav in the series though! Thanks for the tease. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry this was a dud for you. I hope you enjoy the next book your read more. Cute teaser though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame you didn't enjoy this like you hoped. I was able to relate to a lot of the characters, which is probably why I liked it so much! That was a good moment you picked though!

    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete